Thursday, November 28, 2013

Giving Thanks

A Time to Give Thanks

What's the one thing you're most thankful for? Write a list of three things you're thankful for, excited about, or inspired by.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of my favorite Bible verses (I know I say that a lot) is Colossians 3:15-17 (NIV) and it says:
"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called into peace. And be thankful. Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
This doesn't say when life is going grand be thankful, or when you win a million be thankful, or when you get an A on a test, or your dream job, or...better yet...when God heals all your pain and diseases be thankful. It says be thankful to God for it in whatever you do and do it because the peace of Christ rules in your heart.

So with all that said, the thing I'm most thankful for this year, after ya know, being alive still cause there were some touch and go times in there, especially lately. I am most thankful for now and always my life with chronic illness. Ya know why, because God tells me I'm supposed to be. And I seriously try to live this way. I really, really do. And if you know me I hope you know that.

I have met some of the most wonderful friends I would have never met if I didn't have dysautonomia, or EDS, or mito, or whatever else I have because they are in online support groups. I can offer my support and medical expertise (what little I have of it). I try to be positive despite the constant negative barrage of information being thrown at my friends and myself. I'm thankful this is my mission. From the first diagnosis I've always said if I'm going to have this, there is a reason God wants me to, so I might as well find it, so I will be as thankful as I can be. This does not mean I don't have bad days and cry, but I'm usually still thankful on those days too, just overwhelmed.


I'm also thankful for/inspired by:

1- The fact that my entire family is coming over to my house to enjoy a Thanksgiving meal that I prepared mostly by myself today. No matter how bad it hurts and no matter how bad it stinks that I probably can't even eat any of it at all, it's still awesome that I have a family I want to spend two days in pain standing in a kitchen cooking for. A lot of people don't have that.

2- That my thesis is approved and maybe finally getting underway soon so I can start helping people get off narcotics for their fibromyalgia because drug laws are evil, but that's a whole other blog post. ;)

3- I'm inspired by all the people that I interact and meet with on a daily basis that have to live with chronic illnesses like I do. I constantly have people telling me how I'm so strong and I'm so inspirational and let me tell ya people, I'm no hero compared to some of my friends. I have friends that are mothers of anywhere from 1-4 kids dealing with as severe problems as I have. I have friends with kids as young as 2 up to 18 dealing with as severe of problems as I have. There is no way I'm the hero in this story, they are. I'm thankful they keep me around. That's for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment